Re: Recreational player question
by db 19 years ago
 Re: Recreational player question
by bes 19 years ago
 Rec vs Pro: You CAN play the same
by NickČ 19 years ago
Re: Rec vs Pro: You CAN play the same
by Rod 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Rec vs Pro: You CAN play the same) was posted by Rod, on 12/16/2005 4:16:21 AM:
When I first started getting serious about TT I was in the same position as you.

What happens when you first buy a new blade/rubber combo is you realise how much more spin plays a part in your game, and how much more control you will have had with your pre-made (ie slower blade). Your style and choice of shots will inevitably change, because you will have new weapons at your disposal, then you will want to change your combination.

Bearing that in mind, you should buy a cheap chinese blade and chinese rubbers(cheap does NOT mean bad), anything from the 729 range would be a good choice.

You don't want to be buying an expensive Japanese blade and rubbers, to realise its not quite right for you.

Stick to sponges less than 1.9 (or your shots will tend to go long) and an 'all' blade.

You will also then be considering speed gluing, and that's also going to change your game and choice of equipment.

I'd also stick with shakehand. Why? If you start with penhold and later change your mind, your bh skills will be long forgotten and you will have a disproportionately better forehand and a very weak bh.

Good luck
Report Abuse
Search Forum