Re: Recreational player question
by db 19 years ago
 Re: Recreational player question
by bes 19 years ago
 Rec vs Pro: You CAN play the same
by NickČ 19 years ago
 Re: Rec vs Pro: You CAN play the same
by Rod 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Recreational player question) was posted by db, on 12/12/2005 12:36:39 PM:
Hi Eric, I understand your dilemma. It's very difficult even for an experienced player to make a decent equipment recommendation to a beginner sight unseen. If you really want to go down this road you have to accept the fact that experimentation is going to be necessary. Be prepared to spend some money. Blades and rubbers vary drastically in feel, speed, spin, and control. You just have to start somewhere and try different things. It's going to take a while and also your game is going to develop in different directions as time goes on.

"Real" rubbers don't necessarily have to be very fast or spinny. Butterfly Flextra is quite slow and not at all spinny. Good for blocking and learning how to loop. The 729 line of rubbers also tend to be on the slow side, 729 cream might suit your game for instance. It is on the tacky side so spin is pretty good (but you have to keep it clean or the tack goes away pretty quickly). As far as blades go, I would suggest you start with an allround (all or all+) rated blade and see how that works for you. The off and off+ blades are drastically faster and much more difficult to control, in my experience. Although it has to be said that the ratings vary quite a bit between manufacturers (that it, one brand's all+ is another's off- and so on).
Advertisement: Order Order RITC Cream online!
Megaspin.net store
Report Abuse
Search Forum