Re: Sissy Serves?
by Driver 20 years ago
by cole 20 years ago
by Joe 20 years ago
by Gene 20 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Sissy Serves?) was posted by Joe, on 4/14/2004 9:09:02 AM:
Hi Driver,

You will find that top players (especially world class players) will tend to serve short to start a point because at that level serving long or mid-court is suicidual in most cases. Players at that level have first-class attacks and will in more cases than not end the rally with a powerful loop drive.

When you watch world-class players serve (eg. Ma Lin) they serve mostly short but their key is deception to force a weak return - hence a third ball attack.

Serving long with heavy spin/backspin etc at the elite level is only providing your opponent with an immediate advantage - especially when you get two serves before a change. Factor in the fact that sets are only up to 11 - you will start to see that every point is vital.

I personally enjoy serving long with lots of spin to set up my first ball attack because at the level I play in the attacks of my opponent is not that strong. I do serve short as well to mix things up abit - but not in the same ratio of short to long serves as world class players.
Report Abuse
Search Forum