Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad?? (5)

Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad??
by steven 19 years ago
 Re: Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad??
by cole 19 years ago
by Matt 19 years ago
by Brian Borbot 14 years ago
by brian 19 years ago
by Matt 19 years ago
by brian 19 years ago
by Matt 19 years ago
by Grant 19 years ago
by GJ Nelson 15 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad??) was posted by Matt, on 1/25/2005 6:39:15 PM:
The ball feed mechanism sits at the center of the opponents side of the table at surface level and feeds ball up through a tube. I just added a 16 inch length of 1.5 inch pvc pipe(using a coupling), with a long bend (sweep) 90 degree elbow, to a 5 inch piece of 1.5 inch pvc. That assembly gets filled with balls feeding to the top 5 inch tube. On the top tube, I mounted a 16000 rpm DC motor($10 EBAY) aligned perpendicular to the top piece of pvc. The motor has a gatorade cap mounted through the center, like a wheel, on the motor axle. The rim of the gatorade cap is covered in a few layers of tennis racquet grip tape, cut to the right width. This makes a grippy, soft contact with the ping pong balls. I cut a 2 inch long x .75 inch wide slot through the top tube pvc(used dremmel tool)for the wheel to sit in and have the wheel barely going into the tube of the pipe(40 mm balls just barely fit through the pipe). I used some metal strapping and pipe clamps to make a platform for the motor to sit on that is attached to the pipe. The motor is is powered by a 12 volt DC power supply and rheostat(Cheap, Radio shack) regulates the motor speed, and since I did not make any of the pvc joints glued, I can adjust the angle of the ball manually. I used it for the first time last night and loved it, although, as designed, the high speed shots necessarily have lots of spin. Tonight I plan to add a second motor, on the bottom of the pipe, so that I can send balls over with high speed and no or variable spin. Later I will add third motor to turn/ oscillate the 16 inch pvc pipe for random ball placements. The fun never ends!!
Report Abuse
Search Forum