Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad?? (3)

Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad??
by steven 19 years ago
 Re: Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad??
by cole 19 years ago
by Matt 19 years ago
by Brian Borbot 14 years ago
by brian 19 years ago
by Matt 19 years ago
by brian 19 years ago
by Matt 19 years ago
by Grant 19 years ago
by GJ Nelson 15 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Stingray Slammer Robot - Good or Bad??) was posted by Matt, on 1/24/2005 11:54:24 AM:
Here's the deal on the Stingray slammer: It is extremely low- end and low performance. It has the normal features of a catch net, gathering balls and sending them out indefinitely, but the launch and location mechanisms are terrible. The launch is by a spring activated trigger that taps the ball out of the robot, it is supposedly adjustable, but speed adjustments on the machine do very little in reality. The balls hit the service side of the table and barely get over the net even on the most powerful setting. The machine advertises random placement, but it does NOT oscillate for placements, and really, most go to the same location on the table. Recently I surveyed other low end robots and decided to take on a project of 'building' my own for fun and to save a little money. When I saw this robot advertised, I did some research and decided that for $80 the ball return net and mechanism was cheaper and more reliable than I could design and build on my own, So I bought one from ATAFA sports. With 2 DC motors, some PVC pipe, and simple electric components, I hope to have a fun challenge making this model into something comparable to a Newgy 2040, all for around $130. Granted,this approach isn't for everbody, but then again, I enjoy the engineering aspect of the project. If you're looking for a functional robot, DO NOT get the Slammer. You get what you pay for . . .
Report Abuse
Search Forum