Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

Insider,Swing Back IF and Frustration ban (5)

Insider,Swing Back IF and Frustration ban
by Fadil Olguner 16 years ago
 Re: Insider,Swing Back IF and Frustration ban
by Ben 16 years ago
by JRSDallas 16 years ago
by Ben 16 years ago
by Ben 16 years ago
by anti banner 16 years ago
by Ben 16 years ago
by ZoranV 16 years ago
by Arin Guven 16 years ago
by Ben 16 years ago
by Ben 16 years ago
by gazanfer yavuz 16 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Insider,Swing Back IF and Frustration ban) was posted by JRSDallas, on 7/6/2008 11:57:20 PM:
The summary to date is that after a walk about, I seem to be settling in to just sticking with my 43 degree XuShaoFa LSZ but now untuned and adhered using Butterfly Free Chack. This is the same rubber I was using with glue and tuners.

My walkabout:

What I found with gluing & boosting was that I could get an awesum afternoon or evening from the sponge expansion but with the glues the glue build up drives up the weight of the blade too quickly (I already am using dbl side heavy chinese rubber and am at my tendonitis limit).

I really liked the tuners since they greatly slowed glue build up but now the topsheet expanded more because of sustained stretching in response to the sponge staying expanded for days. That then causes the sandwich to slow down as the topsheet tension drops.

If I tune again and get some speed back the sponge density is lower due to the double expansion. I can tune the stink out of it and get Bryce speed but it is short lived and the rubber life is radically reduced.

If I let the sponge shrink back, the sheet is now very strongly curled with the sponge on the inside since the topsheet does not shrink back. If I get this system glued back on the blade, the sponge feels denser and faster but never as fast as it was when tuned.

I first tried the Tenergy 05. It is a really good rubber with a great combination of speed and spin but it was just a bit softer than I like for over the table shots. Since it isn't a sticky topsheet rubber you have to drive it into the sponge a bit to get more spin and that causes the ball to forward thrust more. This is a problem if your trying to keep the ball short while adding spin when returning serve. I also found that the softer sponge made my hitting less controlled. I know I could train into it and it is much better than other Eur/Jap rubbers (in my opinion) but I am addicted to the freedoms that sticky topsheets offer.

So after the Tenergy I tried using old rubber sheets that were only lightly tuned once or twice and where the tuning has worn off. They in fact played very well but still felt a touch too much dwell (since no speed glue kick) from the stretched sponge.

So I then explored unglued, untuned rubber sheets of various durometers and thicknesses to get a bit more of the power back.

I tried some Hurricane 3 on FH and BH that were never tuned on my 91 gram Amultart. They felt good and the overall racket was much lighter but they were just too slow when ended up counter looping mid-distance or when killing a ball.

I then went back to now detuned XuShaoFa LSZ on my lighter 87 gram Amultart to see if it was the H3 that was too slow and confirmed that it was.

So for a couple of weeks I've been using a sheet of black 43 deg 2.2mm XuShaoFa that was only lightly tuned once on my BH. Its playing very well and with good power.

On my FH I've tried some hard 47 deg 2.2mm. It played pretty well but it is just too spanking hard and slow on flat hits (some loopdrives are awesum but I think the sponge probably needs to break in for a long time since I am not using speed glue with it).

I then tried some never tuned 2.3mm 43 deg Max red XuShaoFa LSZ on the FH. It plays with the right hardness but the max thickness makes the blade a bit too heavy and the ball gets just a bit too lost in the sponge on some over the table pick/flip service returns and the weight makes me slower.

So.....tonight I have glued on a new sheet of 43 deg 2.2mm Red XuShaoFa on the FH that has never been tuned or stretched. I will be trying it out Monday night at coach Wong's. It will play well since I am making only slight tweeks at this point. Hopefully it plays perfect.

Report Abuse
Search Forum