Re: More spin on serve
by bes 19 years ago
by Scott 19 years ago
by Andrew 19 years ago
by Scott 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: More spin on serve) was posted by bes, on 7/6/2005 12:03:02 PM:
In general, you need to be more aggressive. I don't know your level, so don't be upset if this sounds silly and obvious...

Treat the serve as the crucially important shot that it absolutely is. It is not a gentle, casual stroke. It takes practice, and lots of it to get even moderately good (about my current level).

For sidespins, concentrate on making a VERY thin cut on the ball and be aggressive. You have to hit the ball very thin, with as much blade speed as possible. Contact the ball around net high. Hitting with the tip portion of the blade will generate more spin than hitting near the handle - the tip moves the fastest. Learn both forehand pendulum style and backhand sidespins to keep your opponents on their toes.

For backspin - and these are much more difficult to master than they look - you also must be aggressive. For maximum backspin think, and actually try to hit the ball forward of the bottom point, i.e. slightly upwards. I've been told that hitting upwards is impossible, but I disagree. Timing is super critical - some folks learn best using a small toss and others do best with a higher toss. The higher toss seems to work better for me, but I can do either. The higher toss gives the ball more downward speed and energy, which seems to let me get a better "bite" on it. Contact point should be near net height. Learn to vary the spin (tip or base of blade + stroke changes) and depth. It is pretty easy to hit moderately spinny short serves (at least two bounces before leaving opponents side of the table). It isn't too hard to learn very spinny long serves either. Very spinny short serves, however, are very tough - out of my consistent range at the moment.

I don't hit a lot of super spinny topspins - I use them - disguised - as variations. I try to make them look as much like a chop as possible. I use medium or high tosses when I want extra topspin. Try to lift and/or pull back your blade at contact.

I also recommend you learn to hit no (or very little) spin serves that look like top or backspin. These can be remarkably effective. A short, low no-spin, even when properly read, is pretty hard to attack even at high level. most players under 1800 will tend to push or flip them deep and a touch high... A fast no spin serve to the body is also a great variation that frequently results netted return.

Hope this helps...

bes
p.s. Mix your serves up! Don't get predictable...
Report Abuse
Search Forum