Re: More spin on serve
by bes 19 years ago
by Scott 19 years ago
by Andrew 19 years ago
by Scott 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: More spin on serve) was posted by bes, on 7/6/2005 1:40:49 PM:
Very spinny short backspin requires that the first bounce (your side) is close to the net. You want the ball to just clear the net (if it is too high, it is easier to flip) with very little forward speed. This is pretty tough. When I am "on", I can consistently serve a ball that doesn't leave the table at all... It will bounce a couple times then roll back into the net. I've seen guys serve (consistently) so that the ball will back into the net immediately after the second bounce - I'm not that good. Try to hit upwards on the far side of the ball. I do best when I serve from a few inches farther back than usual, and with a lower contact point. Practice!

Very spinny topspin is similar, but you (well, I do..)have to have the ball initially bounce a couple inches farther from the net. You want to lift the (steeply angled (down)) blade aggressively into the falling ball. Again, the idea is to propel it fairly softly forward (and for me, a bit up) with heaviy spin. Learning to disguise this serve is critical - I'm still working on it. This used to be one of my favorite serves, but, since I've started playing stronger competition (1400 - 1800), it has fallen from favor a bit. If this serve gets even a hair too high, it can be attacked aggressively with a flip or hit(pips players mainly). One of my regular opponents is a Korean Penholder who absolutely abuses these serves. If I can get him to misread it, even a bit, it is still effective, but trying it takes nerve! This serve is a killer against most weaker (under 1250ish) players...
Report Abuse
Search Forum