Re: 3rd ball attack
by iamconfounded 18 years ago
by rux 18 years ago
by iamconfounded 18 years ago
by T 18 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: 3rd ball attack) was posted by VictorK, on 3/6/2006 5:25:51 PM:
I agree with Tim's comment.

I was taught (and now I'm teaching others) that when looping underspin, you need to make contact with the ball at the highest point, or just after it began to descend.

For your convenience, I'm including tips from two different sources (PongWorld and Sean O'Neal/Dan Simmeeler) on how to loop underspin. It's a long post, but I hope you'll find it helpful.

PongWorld.com
"While standing close to the table, shift your weight onto the forehand-side leg, drop your forehand shoulder and your paddle close to the ground, then push with your legs upward to powerfully graze upward on the ball just after the ball has started to descend. As you move your forehand side upward, bring your backhand shoulder and arm down to act as a counterbalance. Adjust the face of the paddle to the amount of underspin on the ball."

Sean O'Neal/Dan Simmeeler
•Keep the racket low at the start of the stroke - you will find you are actually point the racket head towards the floor. Finish with the racket high (sometimes above your head).
•Equalize your backswing and follow through, both should be 50% of the stroke.
•It is a must to graze the ball on contact. Contact on the bottom or back of the ball depending on the amount of underspin on the ball.
•Spin is more important than speed (the opposite of loop against topspin).
•Swing powerfully, this is a stroke where the oncoming spin on the ball will allow for maximum thrust.
•The weight shift must be significant.
•This stroke is more vertical. Looping against topspin is more horizontal.
•Stay close to the table as the ball will be bouncing up.
•The contact point is at the top of the bounce.
•Try to get your center of gravity under the ball's height.
•Keep a relaxed wrist .
•Adjust the blade angle depending on the amount of underspin - more open for heavy underspin, more closed for light underspin.
•Do not try to add either sidespin to the ball, this will create many unforced errors.
•Continue to use your free arm for balance-this is very important.
•At the end of the stroke return to ready or 'home" position so you are able to hit the next shot.

Report Abuse
Search Forum