Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

Returning Fast & low heavy underspin (1)

Returning Fast & low heavy underspin
by Defeated Again 14 years ago
 Re: Returning Fast & low heavy underspin
by JRSDallas 14 years ago
 Re: Returning Fast & low heavy underspin
by Defeated Again 14 years ago

The following message (subject: Returning Fast & low heavy underspin) was posted by Defeated Again, on 1/9/2010 2:06:14 AM:
I play mostly for fun in a basement against a few other players. I would say I'm a low end intermediate level player.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with one of my opponents. He usually sets me up so that I return a weak shot, and then sends me back a "line drive" underspin shot. He is using grippy rubber, and hits the ball pretty fast with the racket almost completely open (with the stroke aimed at a slightly downward angle).

Despite how he is hitting it, the ball manages to come deep on the table and at a pretty low angle. Normally, I would move back and chop the ball. Unfortunately, this is a basement, and I don't have that kind of room. I try to push it, but the ball has so much spin its very hard to get over the net. If I open my paddle too much, the ball will skid because it has no vertical momentum (almost all horizontal movement). I don't really have time to chop at my distance, and if I can get the shot off then it is hard to control.

Any idea on what the best plan of attack is? I'm trying not to give him the opportunity to make the shot, but I would like to be able to return it with more success.
Report Abuse
Search Forum