Re: Defensive Blade
by Rod 20 years ago
by Bruce 20 years ago
by Rod 20 years ago
by Gurcharn Rehill 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Defensive Blade) was posted by Bruce, on 12/10/2004 10:13:41 AM:
Depending on your style of play, the Dr Nuebauer Firewall or Hallmark Combination blades are supposed to be good for long pip players. I found the following comments on another site (I cannot vouch for these opinions). However I would add that the Combination blade is probably meant to be used with the OFF side on FH:

"The Combination is just what it claims to be. OFF on one side and DEF on the other. I use the OFF side for my Long Pips and the DEF side for my inverted rubber. The long pips side plays very well and for me has just the right touch and speed to play 0X long pips. It's not too fast nor too slow. It's just right. The DEF side also is just right for me as I depend on my spinney serves alot. I can put maximum spin on all my serves with this blade and I can serve long or real short with the greatest of ease. The only downfall of this blade is mostly born out of my having owned the Firewall before I got the Combination. If I had bought the Combination first I probably would not have bought the Firewall. Now to the Firewall

The Firewall. Even though it's not perfect for my style I LUV this blade. It has a fairly large head, compared to most other blades, which I really like. This blade is thick! 9.3mm! Almost all of which is balsa. It has a thin layer of Ayous and then Limba on each side. The "touch" and control on this blade is fantastic. Although you can tell when you've hit the ball outside of the "sweet spot", there is no bad place on this blade to hit the ball with. You still get good feeling and ball response no matter where on the blade you hit the ball. The ball goes where you want it to go. Now the downside. Because this blade has such a thick balsa core it is quick. Not powerful or fast but quick. The ball accelerates off this blade quickly. You notice this most during blocks and serves. With Super Special 0X a hard hit ball that I would block with my BTY VSG21-1000 that would land back on the table would simply fly off the end with the Firewall. The VSG21-1000 doesn't surpass the Firewall in speed until you really "get into the ball". Then the VSG21-1000 is just powerfully fast. The Firewall never attains "powerfully fast". The ball just accelerates quickly and then slows a few feet off the end of the table. The problem with this for me is that you have to be more pro-active playing with this blade. It is very difficult for me to get my real short serves in if I get them at all and blocking requires more concentration. However after some experimentation I am finding that selecting the right rubbers can partially remedy some of these downfalls. I have found that using a 1.0mm sponge on my long pips will actually slow down my blocks probably by keeping the ball off the blade. Also using a Cream rubber with 2.2 Japanese sponge loaded with speed glue gives me better control of my serves, again by keeping the ball off the blade.

So pretty much I prefer the Firewall over the Combination overall because of the head size, touch, and control. I emailed Dr. Neubauer a few weeks ago with a suggestion that they come out with a "Firewall Combination" blade and I recieved an email from Carsten Neubauer telling me that they have a Combination blade in the works for next season (whenever that is) which I will probably buy if it has the same dimensions as the Firewall."
Advertisement: Order Order RITC Cream online!
Megaspin.net store
Report Abuse
Search Forum