Re: Chinese Paddles
by cole_ely 20 years ago
by Dennis R. Hidalgo 20 years ago
by cole 20 years ago
by Dennis R. Hidalgo 20 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Chinese Paddles) was posted by cole, on 10/22/2004 2:24:31 PM:
Well, you've just gotta practice grazing the ball real lightly. Your blade should be pretty much horizonal. Most people on the fh use a kind of shovel motion with the ball going somewhat from top to bottom instead of side to side. Makes it easier to put on side variation and hide top and no spins.

You can practice trying to make the ball come back to you over the net. That's not practical because you have to serve too high. But it helps you develope the touch for backspin.

A decent short backspin serve will bounce twice on the opponent's side. A good one will come back to the net.

A good one should be short, low, and spinny. It's easy to do any two of the 3. Doing 3 of the 3 at the same time requires a lot of touch.

I live in kansas where I don't have a lot of people to play with. But I have a table and a robot. I also had a job over the summer where I had a table and lots of time to practice my serves. Like 10 hours a weekend. Now I practice them like 1hour a day. I am actually tired after an hour of service practice. That's how much I put into it.

One thing don't need a partner for is service practice. That's why it's really the only really good part of my game.
Report Abuse
Search Forum