Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

Novice looking for blade/rubber suggestions. (8)

Novice looking for blade/rubber suggestions.
by Jeff 19 years ago
 Re: Novice looking for blade/rubber suggestions.
by khvn 19 years ago
by Jeff 19 years ago
by Kevin 19 years ago
by bes 19 years ago
by Jeff 19 years ago
by bes 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago
by Jeff 19 years ago
by Jeff 19 years ago
by bes 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Novice looking for blade/rubber suggestions.) was posted by bes, on 3/24/2005 12:40:42 PM:
Jeff,
If you like the feel and play of Tango use it. I haven't usde it, but, from what I've read it is probably a little fast for a learning rubber. Of course, everyone seems to have different things that work for them...

I haven't played with an Opticon, but have liked most of the Donic blades I've played with... The Timo Boll and Cat should be fine as well.

Just pick a combo, then don't fool with it for a while. Learning some of the strokes you'll need is tough enough without constantly having to adjust to equipment changes.

I recommend you work on
1) serves - they are very, very important, look easy, but aren't.
2) serve returns - can't win if you can't get the ball in play (and not teed up for a smash)
3) Basic forehand and backhand drives (Carl Hardin has a pretty good DVD that illustrates)
4) Footwork - this is actually required to accomplish 2) and 3), so should probably be rated higher. If you aren't in the right place and position, you are unlikely to hit a good shot.

Tip - when working on the basic strokes go at 50% to 75% and really concentrate on form, timing, and hitting the ball in the middle of the blade. Doing this will ingrain good technique, and you'll probably be amazed at the speed/power you can generate by hitting the ball correctly and solidly.

Report Abuse
Search Forum