Re: vs. cheap paddles w/ pimples
by iamconfounded 19 years ago
by iamconfounded 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: vs. cheap paddles w/ pimples) was posted by cole, on 11/10/2005 8:19:22 AM:
When playing against an old dry hardbat you can pretty much use strategies that you read from antispin. In fact, sometimes if they're real dry they can actually reverse spin like a long pips.

The major weakness of dead rubbers is that they can't spin the ball. If you give them backspin they can use it to make topspin. If you give them topspin real heavy, sometimes that topspin will roll through and create backspin coming back at you. This backspin will make their ball lift and sometimes the will push it long. This is probably why people are saying long topspins are good.

I'm just horrible against junk rubbers cause I play with sticky rubber and I like to spin everything, but here's what I try to do:

If you keep everything dead, they won't be able to put much spin on the ball. Then as long as the ball is lower than the net, they can't attack it because they can't put enough topspin on the ball to bring it back down. They can only hit high balls.

What probably happens is they get you to push. You push a heavy backspin and they push back. You expect some backspin but get no spin or a light topspin even. You pop the ball up accordingly on your next push, and they flat hit it.

When you push, don't come under the ball. Keep your blade fairly horizontal. If you're going to spin it spin it long with hard topspin and hope they sail the return long. As long as the ball isn't above the net, you don't have to worry about them attacking.

Serve long and fast and dead or topspin. You don't have to worry about your long serve being spun back to you.
Report Abuse
Search Forum