Re: Chopping long pips???
by Shai 20 years ago
by cole ely 20 years ago
by ZoranV 20 years ago
by Simon 20 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Chopping long pips???) was posted by cole ely, on 10/21/2004 4:02:41 PM:
I'm sure tackiness chop is good, but it's expensive compared to pf4-1. And I know many 2000+ (even some former pro)choppers swear by pf4-1. At $10 a sheet, why not try it?

On the sponge, the thicker the sponge the more you can attack but the less reversal you get.

A lot of it depends on your competition I think. Up to a certain point, most players wont keep trying to reloop against a long pips anyway. They'll play up-down or dead ball. That makes LP less effecient. LP works best at two levels I think:

1. 2300+ a level where youre fighting someone who is trying to reloop everything and stay on the attack period. In this case you've got lots of topspin coming that longpips will help you pass through. Occasionally they use their pips for short game blocks too. I saw peter chen recently on tape. This guy knows how to use his long pips!

2. 1800- inverted players who rely on spin. They can put enough on the ball to confuse themselves. In this case the lp player mostly blocks and lets the opponent beat themselves. (Like me!) However, these guys also get torn up by players of the same level who hit flat...like short pips players for instance.

I don't see a lot of successful long pips players between these two levels.

Tradeoffs...always. What are you trying to do? Personally, I couldn't use long pips OX to save my life.
Report Abuse
Search Forum