hi my dear i need help now
by MegranFuyis 16 years ago
 Re: racket case redesign
by Kevin 19 years ago
by Rob P 19 years ago
by Rod 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: racket case redesign) was posted by Alex, on 4/8/2005 5:19:39 PM:
I've never taken any design courses, unless you count engineering design courses.

I agree sometimes design can bring in more profits. In my own case, I wouldn't pay over $10 is what i was saying. A survey would probably help you more to get a generalized response as to what people would pay for a good case and what they want in a good case.

Ipod to me seemed like an exception or special case. Apple had globs of money for advertising and a big company backing it (vs. small asian companies producing their own clones). I have a 4G ipod (didn't pay for it, got it for free) and i don't see anything special about their design save for the clickwheel. Everything else is fairly generic about it.

Also since you brought up the ipod/digital camera cases. Cases for that cost roughly $10 and the value of an ipod is roughly $200-$250 and it is much more susceptible to damage than a racket. It also scratches very easily. The value of the product and the ease with which it damages is much greater than that of a racket so there would be good reason to get a good case. Also I am assuming this, but fairly positive that the popularity for the market of ipods to protect is much greater in the U.S. than ping pong rackets. On an international scale, it would be more difficult to judge, but i'd still think electronic equipment like ipods/cameras are more popular as a market for cases.

If you make a nice case, you'd have a good chance to market it all over the world since there aren't that many nice cases out there if any at all. Although if anybody in China got a hold of your case, you can bet the manufacturers there will create a clone of your case overnight and sell it for much less. Especially since China is crazy about ping pong and the fact that they are the #1 design/product pirating/stealing country in the world. Just something to think about.. =P

Report Abuse
Search Forum