Re: What rubbber to try?
by gcollins 19 years ago
by khvn 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: What rubbber to try?) was posted by gcollins, on 3/21/2005 4:52:05 PM:
Even though this question was directed at Cole, I'm going to intrude for a moment. First of all, I think Cole Ely invented the term "instant hock" (even though I've seen a couple of people trying to take credit for it. The "Hock" is a classic very, very slow hardbat blade. So the term refers to a rubber that takes a modern blade and turns it into one of the deadest surfaces known. Great for defense, awful for offense.

The term is clever and amusing and captures Cole ambivalence toward the PF4-1. I think he admires it for defense but is frustrated by its apparent lack of offensive capability.

But this is where Cole and I (and a few others) disagree. Actually, I think the PF4-1 hits very hard. You just have to be a low-level player like me to appreciate it. Nobody will argue that it chops almost better than anything, but I was delighted to find that I could slap the hell outta the ball with it! If you try to brush it fast for a speedloop, nothing happens. But put it on a stiff blade and swat the ball with a slightly exaggerated wrist movement...this will penetrate most defenses with sheer speed. I've played against people who could also victimize me with their PF4-1 shots.

To me, the big problem with this rubber is that once you start using it, you better not try to use anything else. That's because the arc is so low that you have to open-face your bat more than with other rubber.
Report Abuse
Search Forum