Removing old rubber
by Gene 20 years ago
 Re: Removing old rubber
by cole 20 years ago
by Gene 20 years ago
by bes 20 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Removing old rubber) was posted by bes, on 12/27/2004 3:03:10 PM:
I fought a similar problem recently.

I can't guarantee it will work for you, but here's something that worked for me. Good Luck!

Put solvent on both rubbers liberally. Dampen some cheesecloth or two rags in your solvent (I used naptha). Put one on one side and set on aluminum foil (foil, solvent soaked rag, blade). Then put another solvent soaked rag on the other side and wrap it up tight. I used lots of foil, then stuck the whole mess in a plastic bag and sealed it up overnight.

The next day most of the rubber had fallen off or dissolved. I used a putty knife to remove the remaining residue. I then let the blade dry, then sanded it lightly with 220 grit, applied a thin coat of polyurethane (Minwax makes a wiping polyurethane that is super easy to apply).

After the polyurethane dries, you are ready to install new rubber. I've found that letting the polyurethane dry for a day is best -- it doesn't fully cure for about 24 hours, and may be damaged by the glue if you get in a hurry.

Warning I: If your blade has a varnished handle or a plastic medallion in the handle, it may not when you are finished -- unless you mask it/them off or just wrap up the blade portion.

Warning II: I suppose the solvent may damage some adhesives, but it didn't seem to hurt the old Yasaka blade I stripped.
Report Abuse
Search Forum