Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

729 Rubbers compared to other brands (3)

729 Rubbers compared to other brands
by WK 19 years ago
 Re: 729 Rubbers compared to other brands
by VictorK 19 years ago
by alphapong 19 years ago
by Alex 19 years ago
by WK 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: 729 Rubbers compared to other brands) was posted by alphapong, on 8/12/2005 2:06:56 AM:
I was hoping someone else would answer this since really it can not be addressed with a short answer.

The first thing to note is the difference between typical Chinese style rubbers by companies like 729 and DHS, and Japanese and Euro style rubbers by companies like Stiga, Donic, Yasaka, Butterfly etc. Firstly the Chinese rubbers are significantly cheaper because productions costs are much lower in china. The main difference between Euro and Chinese style rubbers is the philosophy for spin generation. In Euro style rubbers i.e. Sriver, Coppa, Mark V, etc a thin elastic non tacky top sheet is typically placed on top of a soft to medium sponge. On contact the ball penetrates into the rubber sheet which grips the ball, thus producing "Mechanical spin". With Traditional Chinese style rubbers like 729FX or Hurricane 2 the top sheet is thicker and harder. In order to make the rubber spinny it has a very tacky or sticky surface. As a result of the top sheet being sticky traditional Chinese rubbers have a hard sponge in order to drive the ball off the sticky top sheet. Since traditional Chinese rubbers have a thick top sheet and hard sponge they tend to be heavier. Chinese rubbers tend to produce the most spin on serves, pushes and grazing loops. Euro rubber tend to favor spin generation on strokes that carry the ball, like away from the table loops and loop drives.

I have tried to differentiate between "Traditional" Chinese rubbers and Euro rubber since each year the line between the 2 styles of rubbers becomes more and more blurred. For example 729 supersoft does not have a tacky top sheet or a hard sponge and it is extremely light. You should also note that many of the Japanese and European companies have rubbers in their product line that are Chinese style. An example of this would be Yasaka Do. Hard Sticky top sheet with firm sponge.

In general Chinese rubbers tend to favor 3rd ball attack and over the table play, while the euro stuff is favored for away from the table play. This is by no means a hard and fast rule since many people do just the opposite. In the US it seems most coaches prefer euro style rubbers. I think this is likely more the result of butterfly's generous sponsorship programs than what will produce the best results. Looking at the equipment that the top players are using pretty well establishes that it is possible to win with either style of rubber.

Out of the Chinese rubbers my preference in 729 since the quality control is good and you can play on stuff of the same grade that the top players are using. with DHS there are too many different versions: Nation Team, Provincial Team, Export, Domestic etc. It is difficult for the typical player to get the same DHS product that the top players are using. IMO 729 Higher blows away H3, and Wang Nan (SP) on transcend or ESN is superior to H2. Cream MRS is another great do it all rubber with a more euro feel than traditional Chinese rubbers sheets.
Advertisement: Order Order RITC Cream online!
Megaspin.net store
Report Abuse
Search Forum