Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

Butterfly Schlager carbon with Bryce..FX (12)

Butterfly Schlager carbon with Bryce..FX
by M 19 years ago
 Re: Butterfly Schlager carbon with Bryce..FX
by cole 19 years ago
by M 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago
by Tim 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago
by Mr. Oz 19 years ago
by M 19 years ago
by bes 19 years ago
by Steve 19 years ago
by Kevin 19 years ago
by cole 19 years ago
 Parnells Furniture Alabama
by CCBrarieBoafT 16 years ago
 Pinehills Plymouth Massachusetts
by AOpyptombillile 16 years ago
 The Virginian Novel
by BXrogsroutt 16 years ago

The following message (subject: Re: Butterfly Schlager carbon with Bryce..FX) was posted by Steve, on 3/10/2005 5:41:10 PM:
Hey Guys,

I love reading the posts on this and other sites about which pro is using what. It reminds me of when I was a kid and a great admirer of Bjorn Borg. Before he switched from his Donnay racket (this is long before the oversize racket era), I went to an exhibition match that he was playing in Central Park. After the match, we all all got to hit a couple shots with him, and a couple of us got to hit with his racket. I was one of the lucky ones.

His racket was so heavy (nothing Donnay or any other manufacturer made remotely approached the weight of Borg's racket), it was strung so tightly, and had such an inherently small sweet spot, that it was impossible for me to do anything with it. It was a club, not a racket. And since he basically invented the topspin style of play in tennis, I'll bet he was the only guy on the planet that could do anything with his racket. Certainly, there were no other pros lining up to play with this racket. Instead, as younger players adopted the power topspin style, the rackets had to get bigger and more powerful. If you want to test this theory, all you need is an old Wilson Pro Staff or Jack Kramer. Restring it, take it out and hit with a 12 year old junior with a modern racket and see how you do.

Sorry about my long-winded philosophizing. I'm an equipment junky too. And I wanted Borg's racket when I was a kid. The much, much, lighter production model was a piece of crap - excuse my French.

I'm an old guy that plays more table tennis than tennis now. I don't have any trouble generating a lot of power. I've hit with Bryce a couple of times now, and the balls fly off the end of the table with great speed when I take my normal stroke. That doesn't mean you will do poorly with it. Just don't think you'll play like a pro because your using the racket he endorses.

I apologize again for my ranting. Keep letting me know who's using what.

Personally, I like FX-EL, Cream/MRS and Geospin Tacky on a blade with good control. For unglued rubber, I love Desto F2/F3. But I haven't tried a whole lot of rubber.
Advertisement: Order RITC GeoSpin Tacky
Megaspin.net store
Report Abuse
Search Forum