Returning Long Topsin Serves to BH?
by Tim 19 years ago
 Re: Returning Long Topsin Serves to BH?
by Dave 19 years ago
by brian 19 years ago
by Dave 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Returning Long Topsin Serves to BH?) was posted by Tim, on 2/6/2005 9:16:55 PM:
First I'm a newbie. With that out of the way, how do you return a long (somewhat fast) topspin to your backhand? This weekend at a SDTTA tsnami benefit tourney, my opponents realized my backhand was a bit rusty, so served long topspin or long underspin to my backhand. Invariably I responded with a weak topspin return that was too high or a push that was definitely too high. Sometimes left-to-right spin was added to the topsin to add to my difficulty.

Sean Oneil says "Against long serves or serves that only bounce once on the table, attack the ball by looping." Problem is that there is very little time to bring the racket down by the knees (or lower) for a loop return. Or back off from the table to get in loop position.

Question is do you really LOOP BH while at the table on such serves? I was able to attack with Active Blocks (blocks with wrist snap), but getting into a loop position on a relatively fast topspin serve seems challenging.

(After working on my rusty backhand block and drives today, I was able to nail long topsin serves to my BH with fast drive/active block attacks, unlike my wimpy returns only the day before.)
Report Abuse
Search Forum