Re: Buying for my 7yr old son
by matty 20 years ago
by Cur 20 years ago
by cole 20 years ago
 need advice
by loopy 20 years ago

The following message (subject: Buying for my 7yr old son) was posted by Dave, on 5/22/2004 7:37:15 PM:
I am faced with the task of buying a blade and rubbers for my 7 year old. I have no knowlege of table tennis equipment. He is showing promise and is now starting to train with kids 2+ years older. His coach called me aside to advise me that he needs better equipment in order to progress.

My son is quite small. The coach suggested a stiga allround XS (one of the few small-grip blades that I have seen) and rubbers of no more than 1.5mm. he mentioned friendship as an example of a reasonable rubber.

The local shop don't seem to stock friendship. I am a bit lost. How much is it worth spending? Any suggestions and advice appreciated. I must admit that I am a bit baffled about the variety of blades.
And there certainly seems to be a degree of hype here (why would one need kevlar? Isn't texalium just a coloured form of fiberglass cloth with essentially the same old structural properties?)

Why couldn't I just take a nice lightweight blade of unknown origin (75g) that I cleaned up and put some decent alround rubbers on it?

Puzzled,
Dave
(Sweden)

Report Abuse
Search Forum