Free US Shipping over $50
Thousands of satisfied customers
Best Price Guarantee
HomeForum → Message
Return to Topic Index

11 up good (1)

11 up good
by Roger 21 years ago

The following message (subject: 11 up good) was posted by Roger, on 8/3/2003 5:26:48 PM:
11 up.

I have been playing the game 26 years ago for 2 years from the age of 18 to 20. I have been playing again for 3 years now in a local league. The disadvantage of 21 up is that very often viewers could guess who was going to win. Sometimes ago I heard JM Saive on Belgian national TV saying that his match against that Asian Guy was more or less decided at an early stage because he always had this 4 to 5 points advantage from the beginning and at the time it was a mountain to climb for JM Saive. There is nothing there for the viewers.

The 11 up may produce different results. It is another mind’s set. However, best of 5 (55 points) or 7 (77 points) is enough points to see who is better or not. If 11 up is good for Europeans I don’t see why it is not for the Chinese. They may have to revise their tactics. I don’t think it is going to take long for them to come back at the top, anyhow. They are not very far from there anyway. If you look at Women TT, the Chinese are at the top anyway.

It is good for the sport to have champions other than the traditional Chinese.

Table tennis has always been a cruel game anyway regardless of the scoring system being used. For example, we only get one chance when we serve. Unlike in tennis if you miss your first serve, that’s it!! If you throw the ball without striking it you also loose the point, unlike in tennis. It is a cruel game and in 11 up, you have to be even more careful. At league level, unfortunately, some players ‘don’t wait’ for their opponent before serving. They’ll have to do that now otherwise they may loose silly points.

Saying that Shlagger, I hope my spelling is OK, has won the world title as if he had played lotto is I think is a monstrosity. Let’s not forget he came back from 10 6 down, to win the ¼ finals. That has happened twice during those championships, another time with another player.

For those players who were better under the 21up; look at it from a different angle. See it as a new challenge for yourself and say something like: ‘’Well, I have been loosing against players I did not loose against before. What can I do about it?

Enjoy you game whoever you are from whatever country and at whatever level you are playing at!

Report Abuse
Search Forum