Re: Returning to TT - need new bat
by cole 19 years ago
by PeterMcK 19 years ago
by bes 19 years ago
by PeterMcK 19 years ago

The following message (subject: Returning to TT - need new bat) was posted by PeterMcK, on 5/7/2005 3:37:51 PM:
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, hopefully this is a good place to answer this question.

Last winter was my first season back to table tennis for at least 10 years. I had a blast and now its coming into winter again (southern hemisphere) I'm ramping up for another season.

Thus far in my 'comeback' I have been using my old bat but have been feeling the urge to try out some of the new technology. There certainly seems to be a much greater variety of blades/rubber these days so I'm seeking advice on what might be suitable.

My style is offensive based around forehand loop (shakehands) which I'm not afraid to hit with 100% effort. I play with a bit more control and placement than I used to but I'm not sure you could call it a controlled offensive game :-) However I seldom flat hit, even when the ball is sitting up, so prefer a well placed topspin shot. Sometimes I'll push it around and wait for an opening, othertimes 3rd ball attack. I tend to block with touch rather than power, and occasionally even find myself lobbing on defense.

The bat I've been using is a heavy beast or at least it seems that way to me. I just weighed it and it is 205g. The blade is a noname thing (5ply), although it does have a sticker saying 'BARNETT' on the bottom. I think it may have been a cheapo bat that I put some fun rubber on way back when and ended up liking it :-) That brings us to the rubber. It has Yasaka Do on both sides, forehand looks like maximum thickness and backhand may be a touch thinner. Amazingly after all these years the rubber still had a bit of grip!

Availability of equipment may be an issue down here but I know there is Donic and Butterfly gear available. I was reading the Donic catalog and thought maybe something like a Waldner Senso, or Waldner Diablo Senso could be good. For rubber I thought Desto F3 or one of the Coppa rubbers might be appropriate. Although I did see a guy at the club the other night doing some impressive looping with Sriver El.

One thing I'm wondering about is how long it'll take to get used to a lighter bat.

Anyways, I seem to have waffled on a great deal. Any help would be apprecated.

cheers,
Peter
Advertisement: Order Butterfly Rubber
Megaspin.net store
Report Abuse
Search Forum