Table Tennis Information
Table Tennis Facts
Did you know that...
- ...the current superpowers(1998) of international table tennis include
Sweden, China, Germany, Belgium, and South Korea.
- ...back in the days of unregulated rackets, all sorts of strange materials
were at the tables. Among the stranger ones include: 5 inch think sponge,
pure wood, and sandpaper.
- ...the name ping-pong is trademarked by Parker Brothers, who wanted
a huge sum of money from USATT for the rights to that name. In response,
the community gave the sport its own name: table tennis.
- ...the name of the United States of America Table Tennis used to be
United States Table Tennis Association.
- ...certain world-class players can put up to 9000rpm of spin on table
- ...table tennis balls aren't really hollow. They are pressurized slightly
with a gas.
- ...more than 30 table tennis companies exist around the world, making
a full line of accessories from paddles to warm-up suits.
- ...in Europe and Asia, table tennis is big business and is very popular
overall. Top players are endorsed just like players are endorsed in
USA by shoe and apparel companies.
- ...certain governments(like Sweden and China), actually pay their
top players just to practice.
- ...in China, most children are evaluated for certain inherent talents
early on. If they are found to be particularly proficient at something,
like gymnastics or table tennis, they receive rigorous training in that